HVPD's partial discharge training courses were introduced in 2013 and have been well received by delegates, who have ranged from test technicians to development engineers to HV network asset managers.
The Guidance on how the data can be used to make informed, condition-based maintenance (CBM) asset management decisions are being included as well.
This course is suitable for people who are new to, or have a general interest in learning more about, partial discharge, including asset managers. Delegates to HVPD's training have included engineers who have been tasked with reviewing and/or implementing condition monitoring (CM) technology, including OLPD monitoring, to assist in the effective asset management of their MV/HV/EHV networks. Evaluation will be made throughout the course with successful candidates being awarded the HVPD certificate of competence upon completion.
About Level 1 HVPD Course:
- Approximately 3-hour and 30-minute online session
- Designed for anyone new to PD
- Individuals who want to understand the fundamentals in order to detect and locate PD on their network
- The course provides an introduction to PD, covering the basics of how and why PD begins, how we can detect and measure it using both On-line and Offline test methods. Those with HVPD Level 1 certification or previous experience with PD can progress to Level 2.
Level 1 Topics Covered:
- Introduction to Partial Discharge
- Overview of On‑line PD
- Testing Overview of Offline PD Testing
- Online Level 1 Exam
About Level II HVPD Course:
- Designed for anyone who already has a basic understanding of PD
- Individuals who need advanced knowledge about not only detecting and locating, but monitoring PD on their network
- This advanced course covers topics such as PD location and phase resolved partial discharge (PRPD) analysis on assets such as cables, switchgear, transformers and rotating machines.
Level II Topics Covered:
- On-line PD Testing and Diagnostics of Switchgear
- PD Testing and Diagnostics of Transformers
- PD Testing and Diagnostics of MV and HV Power Cables
- PD Testing and Monitoring of HV Rotating Machines
- On-line Level 2 Exam